First and foremost, an excellent event of my trip was seeing old friends and renewing relationships with them.
"it was so nice to hear 'welcome back' from kids I didn't even remember!" - My Journal
We had a few game nights with the Bylers, the other missionary family out there. Those made for some great laugh-until-you-cry-and-your-sides-hurt-times!
It was difficult, though, seeing all the hardships people, have to endure daily.
"I saw someone, in ragged clothes, digging through and eating, what looked like part of a tomato from a pile of trash in the alleyway. That's something I told myself I'd never forget..." - My Journal
It seemed as if everyday we would hear a knock on our door from someone in need of food.
Another fond memory was that of sharing Thanksgiving with some old friends from our homeschool group in Kadoma (a town ranging from 1 1/2 to 2 hours away, depending on who's driving and and condition of the "road"). Here's an entry from my journal from that day...
"I'm thankful for our generator (when we have no power), electricity (when we have it), ice, yummy American food, friends to share it with, and a family crazy enough to travel to this 'F-rated' country *you'll have to ask me about that sometime*!!"- My Journal
Home church was always one of my favorite times when we lived in Zimbabwe, and the same was true for this visit. We had it two of the Sundays we were there, and for Sunday School we preformed "The Adventures of Paul" and "Jacob and Esau."
I also taught the kids Bible study for two weeks while we were there. I read the story of Abraham and Isaac and Isaac and Rebekah. My sisters did the music for those two weeks as well.
We went to the end of the year party that the homeschool group in Kadoma threw. I had a blast. We played a couple of games with water balloons, limboed (I did surprisingly well considering that I was the tallest!), ate yummy food, and had fun with friends.
My family, along with the Bylers, hung out at Antelope Park for a long weekend. The majority of our time was spent relaxing, but we did do two activities: watching the lions eat (they piled up a pile of meat right next to the fence and let the lions charge at it from the other side of the cage. It was rather unnerving, but pretty neat) and going to the elephant training (seeing them show off their stuff and then getting to interact with them).
Of course our trip to Botswana was a highlight, but I already mentioned that in a previous update.
We (me, my brothers and sisters, and Luke) preformed our second "semi-annual" Christmas play for our workers. First we did a skit telling the story of St. Nicholas, then we did a little improvisational theater (such fun), and we ended with a spectacular (lol) musical number - The Twelve Days of Christmas. It took a lot of work and frustration to get it all together, but I think we all did well and that everyone enjoyed it.
"Five golden rings..."
And last, but certainly not least, Christmas was definitely a highlight. We relaxed a lot of the day, ate Christmas dinner (homemade pizza... YUMMY!), had Christmas with the Bylers, and had a movie night with them too.
WHEW!! That was a long update - I mean, extremely lengthy report on the various happenings that occurred during the time I was overseas, and I sincerely hope that I have not bored you to a state of bereavement! Thank you for your gracious attention, and if you long for further details, I would be more than pleased to inform you of any you crave upon our next correspondence or meeting.
May the Lord Bless and Keep You!
Your Globe Trotter
P.S. I hope to soon update again with more pictures from this trip and maybe even a slideshow! We'll see...

4 comments:
Well, my eldest globe trotting child, that was some update. Although it may bring with it difficulties, I am thankful God has allowed us to trot the globe together. Love you, Mom
Great post! It's awesome to see how God used you during your trip!
I would love to hear more about it...We need to figure out when we can get together!!
Hey Eliizabeth,
Wow! That is a great recap of your trip. You have quite a talent for writing and expressing yourself. Sounds like everyone stayed busy but that there was fun and enjoyment mixed in.
I have a blogger question. If you set your blog to "only those you allow" to view your blog does that mean no one else can read it? I've started one for my Bible Study group and I'm not real real up on this-so thoght I'd ask an expert. You can just email me your answer.
Tell all "hello". Hope we get to see you all soon.
Love, Aunt Sharon
Thanks so much for the recap! It was not boring at all!!! I love the pictures too! Your tree-topper is so cute!! I would love to here more sometime...hopefully we can see each other soon! Love ya!
Post a Comment