Thursday, October 23, 2008

Why I Love... My Church!



So, I've decided to do a new post feature, if you will, called "Why I Love...". I thought it would be a fun thing to do and a way to add a little variety to my blog. Sooo... here goes my first "Why I love" post, "Why I Love... My Church"!

For most of my life, I have been a part of a big church. And I'm really glad I got to experience that, all the good things a big church has to offer (massive drama productions :D, cool youth choir opportunities, a gigantic homeschool group, etc...). However, now I'm beginning to love the small church feel.

After we got back from Zimbabwe and moved to our new home, we started the... how can I say this? well, to say the least, the awful, terrible, and depressing search for a new church. We started in April... and kept going through May, June, July, August, ... December. Finally in December, after a couple "red herrings", we finally decided on Crosspoint Church.

Here are some of the main reasons why I LOVE Crosspoint...

  • I really love the, I guess, the "schedule" and style of our gatherings. I enjoy the songs that we sing, and how Pastor Ken preaches. (Sound Biblical doctrine and the like are, of course, a give-in) We don't have Sunday School or youth service in the morning. At first I really hated that, but now I've gotten used to it. We have youth stuff at night, part with MS and HS, and then we break up for the second part. On Wednesday nights we (the HS) have small groups at different people's houses. I like this because it gives us both "big group together time", and a "more personal small group" time.
  • The main reason I love our church here is the people. Some who really stand out are my senior pastor, youth pastor, and youth leaders. I can't really describe how nice it is to just give my pastor a high-five, to have him know my name, and to feel comfortable around him. I love how Matt, our youth pastor, has allowed myself and some fellow students become deeply involved in our student ministry. I love having the freedom and ability to say what I like about our youth group and what I think needs to be fixed, and to be taken seriously, and to be part of the solution. I also really love our other leaders in youth. We have a couple of young married couples and several college students who help teach us. It's nice to have people like the college students who have, just a couple of years ago, have gone through the same things we're going through. It's also nice to get the "older" perspective too (that sounded bad... I ment like the young married's, you know, out of college, in a career, married). I love being able to learn from them.

Well, I could go on, but it's nearing my bedtime and I've got to get ready for bed. I've really enjoyed sharing all this with ya'll, and I think its made me more thankful going through what I like about our church, and I'd love to hear ya'll comment about why you love your churches!!

I most likely won't be posting again until after our fall retreat adventure... so, pray for us this weekend! I'd really like not to get eaten by bears or freeze to death in the middle of the woods lol!! I'll let ya'll know how it goes!! 'Till then...

ME

4 comments:

Pirkle Family said...

It was a LONG process, but we did finally get to the right place, didn't we?!?! Can't wait to see other "Why I love" post! Love you, Mom

Becka said...

Hey! I love your "Why I love" post idea! I think its great! I can't wait to here more about what you love!
love ya!
becka

Rebecca Joy said...

I LOVE the idea for "why I love"! i might have to steal the idea at some point, keeps things interesting! great thoughts, i'm so glad yall found such a great church!
can't wait for the next blog and have a great weekend retreat!
and btw, thanks for telling me how to get quotes up, i had been wondering for a while.

Rebecca Joy said...

I know, it's kinda sad cause you won't even be able to see it this year! :[
my parts? I'm a shopper in one of the scenes because this years theme is "find the perfect gift" and the set has a background that is supposed to look like a store.
and I'm in youth choir.
and this year the people in the adult choir are supposed to be most of the extras (including the townspeople for biblical), so Jada and I joined choir so we could be in biblical. lol